On 12 Sep 2006 10:28:29 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Cole) wrote:

  (c) So the maintenance job we provide does the following:

        RESTORE: This removes prior maintenance from the
        TLIBs, restoring them to their initial installation
        state.

        REJECT: This removes the prior maintenance data from
        SMP/E's database.

        RECEIVE: This introduces the new maintenance file
        into SMP/E's database.

        APPLY: This applies the new maintenance to z/XDC's
        TLIBS.
 <snip>
I suspect that many (if not most) commercial products would benefit from taking an approach such as ours.

     Please don't encourage this misuse of SMP.

I like your product, but this technique is contrary to the spirit of SMP. Therefore, it causes cognitive dissonance in some of us who do understand SMP, and wish to use it correctly. Since the technique is different from what I'm used to, it takes longer than if it were the normal, "complicated" SMP install of maintenance. ACCEPT, (Optionally REJECT,) RECEIVE, APPLY is the normal route for mass maintenance, and takes very little time or thought, as long as the maintenance is packaged correctly.

Since many sysprogs are "just" SMP jockeys, is it too much to ask that they be able to use SMP? If they can, then there should be no need to "simplify" things for them.

N.B.
Please note the quotes around 'just', above. Those are scare quotes, not greengrocer quotes, and I mean no disparagement towards competent SMP jockeys.

--
I cannot receive mail at the address this was sent from.
To reply directly, send to ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com