My choice would be to stick with SMP/E and not waste the time to create
something else.  I am not sure what is considered so difficult about SMP
(from a customer perspective, I have never been a packager).  The only
time I find it difficult is when you stick something like Omegamons CICAT
in front of it.  Those tools to simplify the install only seem to make it
harder and take much longer (unless you go with blind faith or do it
frequently enough to remember the idiosyncrasies).  If there are
customization steps in addition to SMP just spell them out and let me do
the customization.

Now, of course in some cases a full replacement process may be fast and
easy but its more annoying and time consuming to have to know the
peculiarities each vendor can come up with for installing/supporting their
product(s).  If the product is that simple, the SMP install should also be
simple (again, I don't know what the packager has to go through to get it
ready for me but defining a few SMP data sets then running
receive/apply/accept from then on really isn't that big a deal).

Remember, you asked for opinions and just about everyone has one :)

Greg