What does this actually mean in the real world?  At one point I was
under the impression that this only came into effect if you were sharing
spool space or other datasets between LPARs.  In a simple configuration
like ours (3 LPARs, no sharing of anything except the hardware), what
specifically would be the implications of migrating directly from 1.4 to
1.8.

        IF you don't want to share things like catalogs and spools, and
want to do a cold cutover, go for it. I"ve been from ESA 4.3 to OS/390 2.5
and from OS/390 2.10 to ZOS 1.4 this way and survived it.

  What is meant by the N+3 is that with coexistence maintenance on you can
run your current system and bring up a newer one in a plex'd environment
and allow for shared spool, catalogs, etc.

  It boils down to personal choice. If your 1.8 would not be allowed to
touch the other side's files, then don't let it stop you. The listers are
trying to give you the usual caveats about these things, not tell you will
suffer male pattern baldness and fallen arches by deviating.

Daniel McLaughlin
ZOS Systems Programmer
Crawford & Company
PH: 770 621 3256