On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:29:19 -0400, Thompson, Steve (SCI TW) wrote:

> [...]

(Is it really the DCB that's the limit?  I don't think so.)

The tapes use DCBs (and only DCBs) and they managed to overcome the 32760
byte limitation inherent in the original question here.  3390 uses either
DCBs or ACBs (a handy alternative, eh?) and the folks in San Jose have
worked some serious magic recently to mine unused and then underused bytes,
nybbles and bits out of the various I/O control blocks in order to provide
the somewhat recent support for million-plus track files on DASD.

All I'm asking is: since a 3390-54 is still anchored on 3390 geometry,
isn't it time yet to expand that (virtual) track length to something
vaguely similar to the underlying shark disks?

Or, better yet, bring out a new DASD architecture.  Maybe FBA or maybe (by
now) something better.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI