On Sep 14, 2006, at 7:26 PM, Russell Witt wrote:

Ed,

I hope that clients don't feel we are starting to "backslide", and would be willing to discuss offline any comments they may have. And I do appreciate the kind words. However, CA-1 does still support NSL tapes for those clients that want to use them. To be honest, I haven't seen any clients still using
NSL for many years now. But they should still work.

And as others have stated, we do not "hook" any IBM modules. And this
includes not replacing OMODVOL1 and EMODVOL1, though we do dynamically
front-end them.

Russell Witt
CA-1 Level-2 Support Manager

As I said in my entry my information is old so thank you for the update.

However, I do distinctly remember UCC-1 doing so, maybe its changed but I had a hellava time getting SMP usermod (yes I wrote my own usermod ) to do what I wanted for OMODVOL1 and EMODVOL1 . That is a unusual comment about NSL as again I remember a couple of installations that were still using NSL and when CA-1 (I am pretty sure) said they were dropping support there was an uproar. That *MAY* have prompted them to seek a replacement, its been 10+ years .

Of course you are correct about NSL being slim as far as users. IIRC they were carry overs from 7090's (and maybe 14xx). I was just glad I never had to work with them.

Ed