In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 09/18/2006
   at 10:15 AM, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Also I hesitate to use "the BIND" or when the SNA
>session starts since a "non-SNA" connection does not "see" the BIND
>and is  not aware of the existence of an SNA session.

I suspect that if IBM extends the 3270 display stream to add
handshaking for changing the screen size in the middle of the session,
that it will only be for SNA[1] devices. Of course, they could decide
to do everything using Read Partition - Query et al.

>That comment concerned emulator capabilities, not application
>capabilities.

There was mention of an APAR for 14-bit addresses in the logon panel;
that's on the application side.

   at 10:27 AM, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I think you are reading too much into Edward Jaffe's enhancement.
>It's  something that's been hinted at in this thread - or a tangent -
>that the  dimensions could be altered "within a session" and the
>change could be  detected. I don't believe that's any part of Edward
>Jaffe's suggestions.  His idea is simply to be able to have a default
>set of dimensions other  than 24 rows and 80 columns set "before the
>session starts" and to have the  application know it needs to detect
>those dimensions, having been  authorised to "query", of
>course.

That shouldn't require any change to existing application code that
looks at the BIND[2] image or the equivalent information in the Query
Reply.

>While we're talking of referencing technique, I'm sure that if you
>quoted  more of the context of your comments, others may have a
>better chance of  detecting any misunderstandings even if you cannot

The usual complaint on the Internet is too much quoting. It can be
difficult to relate a response to the correct text if to much
additional text is quoted around it. Which seems to be what happened
here.

   at 10:32 AM, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>The quotation marks I placed around "integrated adapters" and the use
>of  lower case initials were/was designed to indicate that I was not
>restricting myself the "Integrated Communications Adapter" -
>obviously - or  obvious to all except one reading these posts

I doubt that it was obvious to anybody with ICA experience that you
did not mean ICA. Quoting a product name is not enough of a hint that
you are not actually referring to that product.

[1] Including TN3270E sessions.

[2] Either directly from VTAM or via VTIOC.