-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Nir Eliyaho
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:53 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Zos 1.7 Exits

Hi List.

We are migrating from Zos 1.4 to Zos 1.7 and
now we have encountered the jes2 exits problem.

Our exit 3 is 20 years old but I have managed to
migrate it. IBM seperated exit 3 into two exits,
exit 3 is activated for jobs received via NJE and
exit53 is activated for jobs received from "internal reader".

Exit53 run in the user environment and like so needs to be
rent. Since our exit is very big and very old I'm not
intersted in making it rent.
<snip>

Size and age are not a problem with RENT. I have worked on many things
that are LARGE and OLD and are RENT (and have been RENT for a long time
for a good reason). I currently don't work on JES(2 or 3) exits, but I
have in the past so I am not competent to speak to EXIT3 or EXIT53
specifically at this point.

However, from general knowledge, I suggest you take your exit and
assemble it using the RENT option and see what falls out if anything. If
it passes that test, then I suggest you try it as RENT in a test LPAR.

If it is currently linked as REUSe, only one copy will get loaded, but
if it is actually modifying itself, things could get ugly. And they
could get ugly in weird ways forcing an IPL or corrupted output, or
both.

Arrg. Thar ye have it, matey. A nickels worth of free advice.

Later,
Steve Thompson