<snip>
We want to share a few DASD among our four Lpars and have SMS
doing allocation.  Each Lpar runs z/OS as a monoplex seperate
from the others.  Two are 1.4 and two are 1.7 right now.
We do not have any kind of sysplex.  Nor do we have an SMSplex,
whatever that is.

We would update SMS rules in every Lpar to indicate these
volsers in an SMS storage group and set up storageclass, dataclass
& mgmtclass.  Each high level qualifier would be setup in every
Lpar's master catalog using an  existing ucat on a non-SMS dasd
that is online to all lpars.

Would SMS for lpar-P get confused if SMS for lpar-D was allocating
a file on those dasd at the same time she was?  Does SMS from one
lpar need to know what SMS from the other lpar is doing?
<snip>

Our example:
- sysplex A (production) with 5 systems z/OS 1.7, GRS star
- sysplex B (test) with 1 system z/OS 1.7, GRS star

The volumes used to transfer data from sysplex A to sysplex B are SMS
managed, defined in both SMSes.

Allocation of  datasets containing data to be transfered is possible only in
the sysplex A (source). In the sysplex B (test) shared volumes are defined
with DISABLENEW attribute, so it is not possible to allocate them. The
usercatalog is on one of the shared volumes (SMS managed).

It works like this for some years now.

If you want to be able to transfer data in different directions, you could
control the allocation the way we do, or using security definitions, or ASC
routines.

Zaromil