Kirk

Thanks for confirming that my guess that "Attn" would work for Ed is
correct.

I'll confess that I missed out the BID angle since my post was quite long
enough already. In my description of the way the "change direction" (CD)
indicator works, I had assumed that the LU type 2 session was already "in
brackets" and hence was observing the strict half-duplex protocol.

I've not come across the expression "get direction" before. For those who
have to work harder to follow our jargon, this appears to mean "be granted
the permission to send a message".

Having mentioned the bracket protocol, perhaps one can say that, although
"between brackets" is no longer the strict half-duplex environment created
when "in brackets" is in effect, there is still a sort of half-duplex
situation applying. "Between brackets", the secondary LU (3270 display) has
permission to send, has "got direction", up to the time that the primary LU
(application) may send the approximate equivalent of the SIGNAL request, the
BID request, and the secondary LU has responded positively. Necessarily, the
first message sent when in the "between brackets" state must initiate a
bracket by sending the "begin bracket" indicator in the header. You also
reminded me that it's only the primary LU which can decide to terminate the
"in brackets" state, reverting to the "between brackets" state, by sending
the "end bracket" indicator in the header.

Chris Mason