Hello,

In the upcoming days we'll be activating Intelligent Resource Director in
our systems (CSSPQ everywhere, and LPAR CPU management in the main
production sysplex).

Not being actually concerned about CSSPQ efects, as we don't expect any
major changes (we've measured our SAP queues, being less than 1.5 in the
maximum 15 minute average), we are about LPAR CPU management.

Our capacity planning staff are currently basing their CPU utilization
measurements and machine upgrades on the LSPR tables (LPAR mode with z/OS
1.4 as this is our current version). We are moving soon to z/OS 1.7, so we
began to turn our eyes into IBM's zPCR tool.

As IRD will be configuring processors ON/OFFline, uniprocessor effective
capacity will change, and according to zPCR, this change will be more than
noticeable. The problem that arises is: how can we measure CPU usage in an
environment where CPU capacity may change over time?

The main parallel sysplex (the one being IRD-fully-enabled) consists of 10
z/OS images running in four 2084 (soon to be upgraded to 2094) and one
2094, one or two LPARs each (total capacity reported by zPCR, based on a
450 MIPS 2084-301, being 33500 MIPS).

Is it a good idea to use LSPR static tables for Capacity Planning in this
environment? Is there any way to do it dinamically depending on the number
of online logical processors? Should we use entire CEC's uniprocessor power
as a basis for measurements?

Thanks in advance