Looks like it's time for me to do an RCF.  According to:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/iea2e270/41.0

"As of MVS Version 4.3, it is no longer necessary for the data sets in the
LPALST to be APF-authorized."

and according to

 http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/iea2e270/67.4.5

"SYS1.LINKLIB in the LNKLST concatenation is APF-authorized by default."

  ***

It looks to me as if one should ONLY authorize the compiler IF
  - You want it in LNKLST
        and
  - you specify LNKAUTH=APFTAB

  ***

Someone who actually has ADCD or other "software" setting the COBOL compiler
to APF authorized, might want to create a PMR to get the SOFTWARE changed.
(I can work on the COBOL documentation, but not the software)

"Chase, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>..
.