> From: Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >I'm rarely a defender of Microsoft, but I think they do a pretty good job of
> >carrying legacy interfaces forward.
>
> You missed the 'smiley' emoticon.
> Because, I'm sure you were joking!
>
> The conversion to Microsoft Office invalidated years of Macros I had written.
> DOS programmes, and old windows programmes, I cannot get working on XP.
> I tried every setting and even talking to mickey-soft.
> Their response was: "Tough Luck"!

At a previous job I had a bunch of DOS .bat files that were cobbled
together to facilitate an automated file transfer system - Mainframe to
Network to propietary funky customer transfer protocol. I had always
meant to write it into something more robust, but hey, it worked and
never caused any problems, and was terribly simple for operators to
troubleshoot in case of transmission problems or whatnot. Wouldn't you
know, .bat files from NT would not work quite the same (or at all, in
some cases) on W2K. I actually converted the .bat files just to see
what the heck they had broke. And don't you know that those same .bat's
would not run on XP without modfications, of W2K3 for that matter. All
this over the course of a few meager years (yes, we stretched the
window on NT for a couple of reasons having to do with being tied to
the DOMAIN model, yet another problem.)

In the meantime, we still had EXEC2 that was twenty years old running on
VM without issue that we hadn't gotten around to (or had a reason to)
convert to REXX. This was code brought forward from VM/SP to VM/ESA all
the way to z/VSE without change.