Joes can be dynamically increased with a $TOUTDEF command.  I would also
investigate what was generating all the SYSOUT.  JES2 creates one JOE for every
SYSOUT in a job. So if you have a SYSOUT=A   and a SYSOUT=B  that is 2 JOES for
that job.  You also create jobs depending on the OUTPUT characteristics for the
SYSOUT.  So one SYSOUT could have multiple JOEs if there are OUTDEF statements,
multiple destinations, and so on.

I had one case where an IMS Message Region created 100,000+ JOEs.  That was due
to an application COBOL program using a DISPLAY command.  The system generated
ONE SYSOUT everytime the DISPLAY command occurred in the IMS MPR.

Lizette