Radi,

I honestly don't think I would ever read a magazine online. I probably won't renew when my subscription runs out. I can understand your reasons for going that way, but I don't think I'll read it online. I know z/Journal offered an online edition, but they still send you the magazine if you want it, and theirs is free. I'll talk to you more about this at Nastec next weekend.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Radi Shourbaji" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding NaSPA's Technical Support
magazine. Going "digital" was not an easy decision for the association.

For 20 years we have provided mainframe professionals a vehicle for members
to share their experiences with their peers. This has NOT changed. NaSPA
plans on being around for at least another 20 years!

On one hand, as was pointed out on this list, the costs of postage, paper,
and related distribution continue to soar. Advertising dollars, which have
helped for 20 years to support the association's expenses is in a steady
decline.

On the other hand, members are asking for more editorial content to better
align them with the ever-changing mainframe industry.

How does a not-for-profit association compete with the huge publishing
houses? Well, until now the answer was we can't. BUT with the introduction
of digital media, the publishing department was able to come to the board
with a solution.

Back in July the decision was made to "try" the digital media world by
launching Network Support magazine in a digital format. We have seen success
with moving this publication. Frankly, we expected thousand of emails from
members asking what the heck is going on. Sure, we did get a few; but the
positive notes of encouragement have far out-weighed the negative.

This success is what prompted NaSPA to move Technical Support magazine to a
3 month digital edition trial. The trade-off is simple. More content,
immediate access, hot-links right in the articles, and easy navigation vs. a
printed version.  I invite all of you to check out the inaugural issue of
Technical Support at http://www.NaSPA.com/gbtv - this issue is available to
the general public, NaSPA membership is not required.

As with anything, change is difficult. Hopefully the decision NaSPA made
today will allow the association to forge into a future dominated by the
Google's, Podshow, and other's leading the revolution.

NaSPA is not in retreat. We are just preparing our troops to meet the
future. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or suggestions
you may have regarding NaSPA's future. Those of you in the greater Chicago area are welcome to meet me at NaSTEC 20 being held at the Sheraton Chicago Northwest in Arlington Heights, IL, you can register to attend free by using
promo code MAIN at: http://www.NaSPA.com/nastec

Regards,

Radi Shourbaji
President