Bill Klein wrote:
Mark,
  Tom Ross has already responded that what you are trying to do is not the
right way to do it. To paraphrase, you are trying to use a screw-driver as a
hammer.  It MIGHT work (in some cases) but it certainly is NOT the right way
to do this. What you need (or should do) is read up on LE condition
handling.  I received the following information from one person that MIGHT
provide useful guidance,

"... he should try the LE Programming Guide [Chapters 15-19] for information
about how to
'use' LE rather than 'fight' it by issuing his own ESTAE and creating chaos
out of order.  [This would be a reasonable response to his claim of not
having documentation.]

If he is a SHARE member, there is an excellent session on "Diagnosing
Application Problems Under LE" that would clearly explain the sequence
of things when there are problems in an LE application.  He might even
consider attending SHARE to get educated on LE.  He might also find out
about some run-time options that could be the reason he is not seeing
messages or dumps.  Of course, his ESTAE may have disrupted things so
much that LE is no longer able to deal with it.

But, of course, Janice's award winning session on Condition Handlers
would be valuable should he be willing to back away from his ESTAEs and
wants to actually use a handler.  The LE Programming Reference would
provide info on the specific services he'll need."

   ***

You can find copies of these presentations at:

(Open to non-SHARE members)

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/le/conference/pdf/swa8208.
pdf

and
(for SHARE members)

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/proceedingmod/abstract.cfm?abstract_id=12611
&conference_id=13

Alas, circumstances prevent me from re-inventing the way recovery is handled in this case. I do not have the luxury of rewriting recovery to use LE facilities in a very mixed ASM and COBOL environment. The environment is primarily ASM with some COBOL supporting modules.

I have recently reviewed the swa8208 presentation. The summary slide first point, seems to be what I'm running into for this problem. It would seem that the LE enclave is issuing the SVC D to re establish the abend to its calling routines.

I appreciate the pointers though. If in the unlikely event I eventually find myself writing those LE handlers, I'll definitely be re-reading in detail those aforementioned LE chapters.

-Mark