Howard Brazee wrote on 10/18/2006 11:51:17 AM:
> Is there a way to use the sort utility (or another tool) to come up with
> the key with the most duplicates only?
>
> I want to search a file to find out which person has the most detail
> records, and how many detail records that person has.

Howard,

Here's a DFSORT/ICETOOL job that will do what you asked for.
I assumed your name field was in positions 1-20, but you can
change the job appropriately for other positions.

//S1    EXEC  PGM=ICETOOL
//TOOLMSG   DD  SYSOUT=*
//DFSMSG    DD  SYSOUT=*
//IN DD DSN=...  input file
//T1 DD DSN=&&T1,UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(5,5)),DISP=(,PASS)
//OUT DD DSN=...  output file
//TOOLIN   DD    *
SORT FROM(IN) USING(CTL1)
SORT FROM(T1) TO(OUT) USING(CTL2)
/*
//CTL1CNTL DD *
  SORT FIELDS=(1,20,CH,A)
  OUTFIL FNAMES=T1,REMOVECC,NODETAIL,
    SECTIONS=(1,20,
      TRAILER3=(1,20,X,COUNT=(M11,LENGTH=8)))
/*
//CTL2CNTL DD *
  SORT FIELDS=(22,8,ZD,D)
  OUTFIL FNAMES=OUT,ENDREC=1
/*

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Team (IBM)
 Specialties: PARSE, JFY, SQZ, ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/