>So it must be deleted it via a "del" command in the ftp command stream.

Batch file:

@echo off
ftp -s:delete.scr
ftp -s:ftp.scr. <-- I don't remember the WIN equivalent for '(EXIT'
ftp -s:rename.scr

Where each .scr has sign on info and the individual commands.

But, if they aren't willing to take your advice on how to do it based on what
works, the s***w'm.
You sound like you've done everything to help them.
If they don't listen/implement why is it still your problem.

I had a programmer come to me with a problem, and I showed him a simple
solution (not even a kludge).
He came back the next day with the same problem.
I looked at the listing. He had not implemented the change.
He said he "didn't like" it!
I told him that if wasn't going address the solution that I wasn't going to
solve it for him, again.
He reported me as uncooperative.
I pointed out to my manager, that I had given him a solution, but he didn't
want to implement it.
So, what could I do?
Rarely happens: he backed me.
The programmer implemented.
It worked.

The next time, the programmer tried the same stunt.
I told him to take his problem to somebody else.

When in doubt.
PANIC!!