Shmuel

I'm afraid that is an irrelevant question.

However, you need have no shame in being ignorant of the TCP/IP for VM,
later TCP/IP for MVS and Communications Server IP GATEWAY statement. The
working of this statement has embedded within it the concepts of the old
Class A, B and C "networks" with, for most of its life, the idea that you
are allowed to add to these "networks" one and only one subnet
specification.

Whenever defining a "non-host" route, a "host" route being a route where a
complete IP address is given or to put it another way, the subnet mask is
necessarily 255.255.255.255, you need to go through some extraordinary
mental contortions in order to define a subnet when the subnet doesn't
happen to coincide with a "net", Class A, B or C. An interesting consequence
of the format of the GATEWAY statement route entry is that it is impossible
to define your subnet mask so that it defines a "supernet", which is logical
in a semantic sense I suppose.

In short the GATEWAY statement is completely ignorant of CIDR. If you have
been keeping up with this thread you will know that the intent of the OP was
to convert from the antediluvian GATEWAY format to the preferred current
format of the BEGINROUTES/ENDROUTES block which does follow CIDR in that it
allows a contiguous prefix of any length in order to represent a subnet
mask.

Personally I never understood why there was so much of a "song and dance"
over how routing tables were organised and propagated. Once you needed to
take account of a subnet mask, you may as well throw away the old "classes"
and always apply a mask. It is also obvious that you scan routing table
entries from the most mask bits to the least mask bits so why make a fuss
over limiting the number of sets of masks involved? The major benefit of
CIDR is the contiguity requirement which means a 0-32 integer can replace a
32-bit array in storage and transmission. There is also another benefit for
the poor "network administrator" in that he/she can grasp and control what
is going on rather more easily than if the bit mask has non-contiguous one
bits, a feature which need not faze programming logic.

Chris Mason