You might want to check out some of Bob Rogers' SHARE talks on "what you do
when you're a CPU"..

Certainly the storage efficiency (i.e., the instruction is shorter) of BCTR
is a plus in its favor.

However, BCTR(G) is not superscalar (someone else will have to explain the
full ramifications of this). And the fact that the machine needs to treat
BCTR(G) as a branch until it can get to the point where it determines that
the R2 field is 0 means that the machine's instruction decode logic must
decode the BCTR(G) by itself. "By itself" is never a good thing for modern
machines

That is about as far as my knowledge takes me. I'm sure others can help
take this further if needed.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design