I still don't understand enough about the JVM to answer that.  I will
note that, via my "TechQA" ETR with IBM, after I included
-Xverbosegclog:filename in the JAVA_OPTIONS I began getting
human-readable output from verbosegc in the file I specified, so
apparently the application is (was) "intercepting" its output and
translating it to who-knows-what codepage.

The project owner for this application is going to try to get a
benchmark running it on a "native" AIX machine (hopefully later this
week), so I guess I'll "sit back and wait" for a while.

Thanks for your and everybody else's help so far.  I may be back.  :-|

    -jc-