On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:00:26 +0000, Perry O'Connell wrote:

>Does anyone know about using the SUBSYS alloc key in BPXWDYN?
>
>is it supported?

No, it is not supported.

>I am trying to dynamically allocate something like this DD card
>
>//INVOICE2   DD SUBSYS=(B93Z,X001,PDF,,,,,'ASCII=YES','FILEEXT=PDF')
>
>i have tried calling it with this..
>
>ALLOC FI(INVOICE2) SUBSYS(B93Z,X001,PDF,,,,,'ASCII=YES','FILEEXT=PDF')
>
>without success . e.g.

...snip...

>The IBM docs are either out of date or unclear ( or unfindable (by me)!)
>

>any ideas most welcome!

The documentation is clear enough - BPXWDYN does not have support for
either SUBSYS (or for SUBSYS parms) up through the z/OS 1.8 level.

If you want to use SUBSYS with dynamic allocation you (still) have to write
your own interface (e.g., command).  I have done so (many years ago) and I
extended mine to include both SUBSYS and SUBSPARM.  (What I have not done
is put mine into the public domain.  Maybe someday.)

The IBM unix folks have been quite clever and speedy (often lunchtime
projects) when hearing clear field requirements in the past.  Maybe if you
contacted one (or more) of them they might add it to BPXWDYN's repetoire of
supported keywords in a current release?  (In my experience adding SUBSYS
and the subsystem parms was pretty trivial once you had the parsing
subroutines setup.)

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI