On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 14:59:01 -0600, Eric N. Bielefeld <eric-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If I remember correctly, the 2560 could read about 300 cards per minute.
>Compare that to the 2540 (I think) being able to read about 1,000 CPM.
>Punching on the 2560 was much slower, but I can't remember.

Offline Patrick Falcone gave me link
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3115.html
which states

   "The 2560 can read up to 500 cards per minute, punch 160 columns per
   second and print 140 positions per second."

That is faster reading than I remember, but that was from a Mod 115
announcement.  There may have been a faster 2560 by the time the 115
came out.  (I didn't remember there ever was a Mod 115.)

>...  I spent many a
>day sorting decks of cards and running them through the 2560.

The neatest thing I remember about the 2560 sort (which was a Sort/Merge
program) was if you messed up the directions and put the cards in the
wrong hopper you increased the sort time a little.  The number of passes
went up by 1 or 2.  If you made the same sort of error (so to speak) on
the column sorters you got to start the whole process over.

Pat O'Keefe