Hello,
I'm confused about the number of logical devices address by a Ficon
channel:
1) On "Ficon Implementation Guide" it's stated that "The Ficon
implementation allows up to 16,384 device addresses per Ficon channel" so
64 Logical Control Units.
2) On "Ficon Native Implementation and Reference Guide" chapter "2.2.1
Point-to-Point configuration" it's stated:
"A maximum of one link can be attached to the channel in a point-to-point
configuration. The maximum number of control unit images that are
supported by the FICON architecture over the FC link to Control Unit is
256, therefore the maximum number of devices that can be addressed over a
channel path configured point-to-point is equal to 256 times 256, or
65,536."

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, but why on 1) máx CTRL UNIT is
64 and on 2) is 256 ???
Does DS8000 and other storage vendors like HDS with USP support 256 ctrl
units??

Many thx, Antonio Cecilio.