In a recent note, Howard Brazee said:

> Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:51:19 -0700
>
> Every year, we FTP some files from the mainframe to an ASCII Unix server
> where the zip software is Gzip.    The feds though want to pick up these
> files in either WinZip or PKZip format (in ASCII), so we FTP the files
> to a PC, zip them by hand, then put them back on the server.
>
> Last year the Unix gurus spent quite a bit of time trying to create a
> file they could unzip, but failed.

Sigh.  But they probably have wives and kids they need to support.

> What would be the best way to zip these files for the feds?

A way (best is subject to discussion) is use /bin/cp to copy
them to an HFS directory structure conformant with the recipients'
requirements; /bin/pax to convert to ASCII, info-zip to zip,
then FTP to server.  Only the last step need go off the mainframe.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL