I went back and looked at my ServerPac variables, and the SMPWKDIR is
listed.  It defaults to "/tmp".

Not knowing the impact of this variable then, I left it as is.  Next time
I'll change it.

And yes, you will need to mount a filesystem at the mountpoint you define
for the variable.  A VERY LARGE filesystem.  2,500 cylinders met my needs
fortunately.