On 28 Oct 2006 11:42:59 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>======  Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)  ======  wrote    2006-10-25 23:46:
>> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 10/23/2006
>>    at 06:02 PM, Thomas Berg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>>
>>> I think it's funny that this thread that started
>>>from details in teaching basic assembler to newbies
>>> has evolved into an interactive lesson in very advanced
>>> assembler.
>>
>> Except that there is disagreement as to what is basic and what is
>> advanced.
>>

>Yes.  But now that I think of it; the "antithesis" of basic is probably
>not "advanced" but rather something like "extended".  And the antithesis
>of advanced is probably "simple" or maybe "primitive".
>
>Either way, I think that our disagreement lies in that I see the
>smallest/lowest degree of "basic" is the assembler code and machine dito.
>And that this is best level to start from if You want that the maximum
>number of students to be able to continue the course and sill be able to
>understand what they are doing.

Whether it is advanced or simple, for a batch program, it just isn't
worth the bother to code the program in a reentrant manner.  If IBM
had made the ACB the control block for ALL access methods and frozen
the DCB, I might change my mind.  Sub-routines and exits are a
different story although I would look for ways to avoid the storage
macro and GETMAIN/FREEMAIN from an overhead point of view.