Fierce but fair?

An offline comment (it's Friday) and I think it's pertinent.

I fought IBM tooth and nail from 1978 to 1992.  Throughout that time I found
IBM and all other
competitors - at management levels - to be fair and honest people. Some might
find it amazing,
but I think I can claim (some) true friends at most management levels in all
PCMs. There are
even one or two within IBM who find the aßhole business distressing.

There were a lot of good guys out there.

Niggles - yes - but mostly at the fringes.  When you got to the policy people -
no problems.

I had several occasions when something IBM Confidential (real, not trivial)
turned up.  This
was in Germany, in the 1980s.  We called IBM Stuttgart - Industry Relations -
and the response
was always the same: "Don't touch it, we will collect it".

To my shame, I've forgotten his name.  An IBM "lawyer" used to come up to
Frankfurt by train
and I would collect him at the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof.  "Herr Dr Something."
I'm really
ashamed at not remembering his name. Always had a pipe in his mouth - never to
my experience
lit it. Immensely respected within our organisation.  We drove to our offices,
he opened his
legal-type floppy leather briefcase and dropped the documents in, we shook
hands, coffee was
offered and accepted, we set off for the Hauptbahnhof and stopped off for a
beer on the way.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk