"...But the vendor fails to declare the dependency..."

Point right on. This is the vendors responsibility no? Else who/how to
protect the integrity of the maintenance chain? The customer?

My original post was to try to understand other conditions where this
would be necessary as a standard way of doing business. It sounds like the
answer is no. Exceptions not withstanding, we should always expect that a
pe'd ptf will be removed from the chain or sup'd by the correcting
maintenance. thanks.