On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:37:50 +0100, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I was commenting on the following instruction:
>
>  MVC   M1CC-1(L'M1CC+1),=X'402120202020' MOVE IN EDIT MASK
>The task is to move a 6-character string into a storage area. There needs
>be some symbolic reference to the storage area so the M1CC variable is
used.

I'm afraid I don't understand what the issue is.  Seems to be a matter of
style.  I see the task as moving a edit mask into a field that starts one
byte prior to M1CC and extends to the end of M1CC.  I have to build the
mask so have to know that the length is 6 but M1CC-1(L'M1CC+1)explains
why it is 6.  Is that bad?

Actually, if I had to do that more than once or twice I'd probably write
a macro that builds both the MVC and the mask, and would (hopefully)
comment it well enough that a neophyte would understand.

Pat O'Keefe