In at least some cases the system will tell you if you need to IPL with
CLPA even if you forget it, as if you omit it in such cases you can get
ILR027D NUCLEUS/PLPA FMID MISMATCH, RE-IPL OR REPLY 'GO' FOR COLD START
I'm not positive exactly what checks it makes to decide that.

Tom Schmidt wrote
But under the "Syntax rules for LPALSTxx" section in Init and Tuning
Reference it also says:

"Be careful not to specify the same data set name more than once in the
LPALSTxx members. This applies to data sets with and without a VOLSER
specified. The same data set name is concatenated as many times as it
appears in all specified LPALSTxx members. Specifying the data set name
more than once can cause additional processing during IPL, when the CLPA
processes"

As the words say, this is the case of the same data set twice in the
concatenation, not the case of the same member in two different data sets
in the concatenation. And the reason for not doing it is for exactly the
"additional processing" reason. I don't know why we needed to bother saying
this at all. It's like saying "don't tell me to do something twice when
only one is necessary, because I will do exactly what you said and do it
twice".

As other appends correctly stated, if the same member is in two data sets
in the concatenation (whether they are the same data set or not is
irrelevant), the member from the first data set in the concatenation where
it exists is used

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design