On Thursday, 11/16/2006 at 06:26 CET, "R.S."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Haven't the discussion gone away from the topic ?
> FAQ is not official documentation and need not to be 100,00% accurate.
> It can contains simplification, etc. Otherwise there will be very few
> entries - the rest will be inaccurate, incomplete or nobody will do it.
>
> The tool and organization are not so relevant, usually FAQ is simple web
> page maintained by single person or few persons. Such person puts new
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s. However it can be wiki-like mechanism as well.
>
> IMHO the most important issue is nobody will put new questions and
> answers. It will be empty. ...and then it will be accurate <vbg>
> The same with engine: wiki has disadvantages, simple webpage has
> disadvantages, but it's still better than NOTHING. This is what we have
now.

A wiki for the z/VM & Linux crowd is starting to coalesce, having been
kicked off at the last SHARE.  The real impetus for it is the lack of
comprehensive or current Redbooks, esp. for z/VM.  The wiki is intended to
provide more up-to-date info on Best Practices (!) and pitfalls.  Those
things change  as change over time and we're finding too many antique
documents floating around.

It also provides a convenient place to consolidate

The practical difficulties are:
- Getting an editorial staff with spare time
- Selecting the wiki software
- Getting an editorial staff with spare time
- Selecting the content editing tool
- Getting an editorial staff with spare time
- Developing a content outline

But perhaps the most difficult problem is finding a [volunteer] editorial
staff with time to spare to actually populate and review it.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott