Hello list -

We have two separate zSeries processors, each with its own production sysplex.
CPUX - 2-LPAR basic sysplex with JES2 and ACF2. GRS ring.
CPUZ - 4-LPAR parallel sysplex with JES3 and RACF, using ICF. GRS star.

Both CPUX and CPUZ share two ESCON directors, disk and tape controllers.
Shared DASD is minimal; there is currently no GRS between the two sysplexes.

There is no technical reason to combine the totally separate sysplexes into a single sysplex, however, there is significant financial savings for doing so. Therefore, we have been asked to begin a study of the issues and steps required to make this happen.

Has anyone successfully combined very dissimilar sysplexes into a single sysplex? I am very clear on the hardware requirments. What are the software cautions about such an endeavor? We already suspect GRS will present a challenge in combining RNLs. Because we will not share much DASD (besides that for couple datasets, MIM and STK control datasets), we don't expect that the two different Security packages will be an issue -- has anyone discovered otherwise? We have been told that JES2 and JES3 will not present a problem in the same sysplex.

Thank you,
BK Kosmach
MVS System Programmer

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day trial! http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href=http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail