You can allocate space on z/OS  in MB if you want:

AVGREC=M,SPACE=(1,(1000,100))

for example, allocates enough space in millions of records (AVGREC=M).
Those records (for allocation purposes, this is not the LRECL) are 1 byte
long.  Here our primary is 1000M  or approximately 1GB.

I use this technique successfully, for example, when allocating an HFS for
a product ported to USS where the vendor says you need "x"MB to install.

If you like, you can do an allocation like this and use some other tool to
determine the tracks or cylinders that it occupies.

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation
(850) 414-4209