The z/OS 1.7 JCL reference says

Note: Specifying FREE will not release the enqueue on the data set until the
last step that requires the data set completes processing.

Am I correct in assuming that does not mean what it says; that what it
should say is something like "Coding FREE=CLOSE has no effect except when it
is coded in the last jobstep that refers to the dataset"?

I am actually interested in using SVC 99 allocate with the FREE text unit
(whose documentation refers in turn to the restriction above). Am I correct
in assuming that (barring some other allocation of the dataset) that coding
this text unit will cause the dataset ENQ to be released when the dataset is
closed?

Charles Mills
+1-707-291-0908