IIRC, the £ symbol would occupy the same code page location as the $ does
in code pages used where the $ is the preferred currency symbol. I suspect
that this would require code page customization for TCP/IP on the mainframe.

Bill

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/IEA2B661/12.22.1?SHELF=iea2bk61&DT=20060125042105&CASE=