It's been a while since my primary responsibility was z/OS (actually it
was last that during MVS/ESA days?) but I am a backup to the guy that does
it. It has occurred to me that with all of the new changes to make things
like linklist dynamically changeable, it might be a good idea to IPL the
"minimum" and then have commands issued to make the system environment
what you want.  So, what's the "mimimum" going to involve?

1. Besides the basic OS, and master scheduler, what subsystems need to be
initialized from the very beginning? I believe I'd start SMS so I could
use "SMS" parameters in linklist and APF list members of PARMLIB... then
JES2 of course. Anything else?

2. I know subsystem initialization routines need to be in the linklist
before the subsystems start, but do they have to be there from the
beginning or only when the SETSSI ADD command is invoked?

3. Assuming we've got all that right, we'd then use SET PROG= to set up
linklist and APF after SMS is started, and SETSSI for things like DB2 or
other things.

My feeling is that, similar to the way ISPF logon procs can be cleaned up,
this will result in a reliable IPL, even on our sandbox where people make
changes, while giving us some more flexibility. Anyone done this? What
were your pros and cons?

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation