John Benik wrote:
Every morning we run a job that does an STK CDS backup. About 1/2 hour after the job starts we start seeing master start pendings on the volume which holds the primary CDS. Once the backup step starts about 45 minutes after the first start pending we then see a reserve on that volume while that step runs, but it only lasts for about 2 - 3 minutes. Once the step is done the start pendings and the reserve is gone. On occasion we have seen other times that there are start pendings but the morning one does happen everyday.

There wasn't really a question here - just stating a matter of fact.

We had a similar scenario with a production and test LPAR on the same server and not in the same Syslplex. Our problem was stopping the Ops from calling us, (out of hours), when some housekeeping job or other ran while making sure that they called us if the MASTER start pending message was issued for another volume.

We took a two pronged approach for this "normal" situation, (after all we are talking STK software here - no flames perleese!).

  1. Told Ops to ignore this alert unless it occurred multiple times
     for the same device. Multiple being more than three times, doh!
  2. Used automation to suppress the message for the specific device
     during the time frame when the job on the test system should have
     been running.

Sorted!

Colin