In a recent note, "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" said:

> Date:         Wed, 13 Dec 2006 07:09:22 -0500
>
> >Does FTP client under Unix Services perform I/O directly to stdin
> >and stdout, or does it ALLOCATE INPUT and OUTPUT to the paths?
>
> I don't understand the question. The Unix process gets control with
> whatever stdin and stdout the caller specifies. It doesn't and
> shouldn't allocate anything as long as stdin and stdout are all it
> wants. Those names refer to pre-opened files, not to ddnames.

In the diachronic view, many strange things are possible.  Suppose
the archetypal MVS FTP client was written (in Pascal?) long before
Unix System Services to do QSAM I/O to DD names INPUT and OUTPUT.
The most economical accommodation to UNIX might then have been
to add DYNALLOCs:

    alloc dd(INPUT)  path('/dev/fd/0') ...
    alloc dd(OUTPUT) path('/dev/fd/1') ...

and leave the rest of the code unchanged.  But then concurrent
invocations of FTP with _BPX_SHAREAS=YES would contend for the
DD names.

> Think of stdin, stdout and stderr as being open DCB's passed to the
> process. It's not a perfect analogy, but it conveys the flavor.

I do.

-- gil
--
StorageTek