"Tim Hare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
e.fl.us>...
> Before I try writing up the enhancement requests to three vendors, I
> thought I'd ask on the list to see if there's already a solution that
I'm
> overlooking.
>
> Here's the problem:  I created a new backup job which would use "real"

> 9840s, and modified my HSC (StorageTek) TAPEREQ statements to reflect
> that, but I forgot to modify CA-1's TMONSMxx statement so that the job

> used tapes from that scratch pool. CA-1 therefore rejected every
scratch
> 9840 tape mounted because the tape was from a specific scratch pool
and
> the request was not for that pool  - IECTMS3 not scratch message with
> reason code 84.  Every time one of these IECTMS3 messages happened,
the
> tape was marked scratch in the STK CDS.  This, naturally, depleted by
> scratch pool causing failures in other jobs as well.
>
> Yes, I have now fixed the error, but I think somewhere along the line
the
> various pieces of software involved should be modified so that scratch

> pool rejections like that do not cause the tape to be marked as
> non-scratch in the CDS.
>
> It's not a simple case however:  CA-1 rejects the tape and drives
another
> mount. HSC sees each mount as an individual thing. Therefore, if the
tape
> is still scratch, it might get mounted again immediately, causing the
job
> to "loop" forever mounting the same tape or set of tapes (depending
upon
> how HSC picks what the next scratch tape to mount is).
>
> Because ot that kind of issue, I'm thinking this is a three-vendor
> problerm:
>
> A.  The original mount (IBM message)  needs some sort of identifier to

> identify a unique mount sequence.
> B. CA-1 needs to use that identifier in all subsequent mounts used to
> satisfy the original request.
> C. HSC needs to avoid marking the tapes as non-scratch in this
situation,
> but it also needs to keep track of the tapes it has already mounted
for
> the uniquely-identified request so that it can bypass tapes it has
already
> tried.
>

> Has anyone developed or seen a solution for this, or even things which

> would help?  Obviously, paying enough attention to what I'm doing to
avoid
> making these mistakes is the first thing, but I'm afraid there's not a

> debugging tool for the software running on the old "grey matter" box,
so
> I'm looking for solutions that run on z/OS .
>

> Tim Hare
> Senior Systems Programmer
> Florida Department of Transportation
> (850) 414-4209

Tim,
I know the problem and found out that I had to live with it.

So I can't provide you with a solution, but there are a couple of things
in your analyzes that could do with some clarifications/corrections:

1. The basic problem is the different view on tapepools by CA1 and HSC.
If a scratch is requested without a pool specification, HSC allows any
tape, while CA1 only allows non-subpool tapes.
2. If HSC has mounted a scratchtape, it marks it as non-scratch, because
it has no view on what has happened to the tape when it is dismounted.
It remains non-scratch till the next scratch-synchronization and
therefor it will never mount the same tape again on the retry, but wil
mount the next tape.
3. The "next" is dependent on the sub-pooling in the HSC. If you have
subpools in HSC, it will select the next tape (within the same silo to
avoid pass-throuhgs) from the same pool, until another job requesta a
tape from another pool, after which the error-job will be satisfied with
the next tape from this new pool (I hope I am clear). Basically, given
enough time, you will run out of all scratches in your HSC.
4. You can somewhat tackle and automate the problem by setting WARN
thresholds for your HSC scratchpools and run scratch-synchronization or
even more CA1 maintenance to provide the HSC with a new set of
scratchtapes.
5. Finally, the operator must detect and cancel this destructive job.

Kees.

e-mail, and delete this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM),
its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for
any delay in receipt.
33014286