Jan MOEYERSONS wrote:
I actually look after the change management software and am trying to Ahh well, I will make sure all the opts are abbreviated and recommend to

our programmers that they use the CBL statement in their source for any extra options they might want to add.

As an ex-change management person, I have to recommend you do not do that and indeed that you prohibit your programmers from using the CBL statements. (Even add a filter to the compile procedure to kick the CBL statements out!) You, as the change manager, want to be in exclusive control of the compile options.

Everybody wants to be king [or queen]. But there are always
cases where the supplied defaults are not the right values
for a situation. My approach would be: 1) establish your
standards and install the compiler with those values as
the defaults; 2) make sure everyone is aware of the standard
default values, what they mean and why they are in place;
3) allow applications programmers to override default values
when they see a need.

Maybe your best bet is just to automatically, in the compile procedure, pre-
pend the source code of the programs that you need to compile with a set of CBL statements to set the options you require.

Cheers,

Jantje.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock