Even the acronym finder isn't quite sure..........but does agree with
most. I seem to remember Output back in my earlier ops daze.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=spool&string=exact

J R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
12/14/2006 08:40 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Decimal FP (was: vendor JCL)

>From: Chris Mason I seem to remember SPOOL meant "Simultaneous Peripheral

>Operations On Line"

I think we all acknowledge that SPOOL was contrived
to mean "Simultaneous Peripheral Operations On Line".
The doubt expressed within this thread relates to whether
anyone ever really thought of it as an acronym or
were we merely using the English noun/verb with
the same connotation.