-----Original Message-----
If I have a windows directory containing hundreds of files that all have the
same file extension eg filname.DEF,  how can I drop the file extension and
get them into a pds on the mainframe.

If you don't want to have to rename any of the files on your PC, you could just upload them all to the mainframe using SimpList. You'd start by selecting the PC directory from a SimpList object list as shown in this example:

===> C:\maindir\subdir\*.DEF

This displays a list of all files matching the specified pattern. You'd then enter 'N *' on the command line (where 'N' = traNsfer) to transfer every file displayed in the list. If the target member name is entered as an asterisk, the asterisk is automatically substituted with each PC file name (minus the extension).

For more information there are a couple of flash demos available at http://www.soft-center.com that will show you what I mean. The demo on 'Advanced Member List' includes a discussion about file transfer, and shows how to download members to a workstation. The demo on 'Workstation List' shows how to display a list of workstation files on the mainframe. From this you'll be able to see how easy it is to transfer files in either direction. You can even transfer files based on a naming pattern or file size or last changed date (etc).

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

Dave Salt
SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm

Enter the "Telus Mobility Xbox a Day" contest for your chance to WIN! Telus Mobility is giving away an Microsoft Xbox® 360 every day from November 20 to December 31, 2006! Just download Windows Live (MSN) Messenger to your IM-capable TELUS mobile phone, and you could be a winner! http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/