On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 12:33:13 -0500, Gilbert Saint-Flour wrote:

> A task doesn't own a DCB per se, but DEBs created by OPEN are placed on a
> chain anchored in the TCBDEB field of the TCB under which OPEN is invoked.
>
> When a task terminates, the Task Close routine (IFGxTCx IIRC) runs the DEB
> chain and tries to close corresponding DCBs and ACBs.  If a DCB/ACB is
> inaccessible or appears corrupted, then TC issues IDC999I and S0C3.
>
> I am not aware of SMP (or IEBCOPY) doing anything that would prevent TC from
> doing its job.

Just an update.  IBM is pursuing this in PMRecord 56321,033,000:

     +IBM                   -5695DF175  -                 06/12/22-12:10-
    Tracing through the code I have determine that access methods issued an
    IEFSSREQ to unallocate the SYSPRINT ACB and it failed with RC=4.
    Looking into reason why this occurred. ...

So, yes, something I like about MVS is the enterprise-class service given
customers.  It didn't take them all this time -- a spent a few weeks
intermittently pondering and pruning my test case.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL