Roland, do you know if a class file compiled on Windows - likewise works
without modifications as is after ftp to z/OS

Shmuel

________________________________

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Roland Schiradin
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:50 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Use of Java "jar" files supplied by IBM with z/OS products.

John,

not sure for CICS but jar files works fine under z/OS.
I wrote some Java code under Windows and upload (ftp) them binary to
z/OS and execute them without modifications and vice versa.

Be aware
1. The mainfest file must be ASCII regardless the development plattform
(z/OS!!) 2. JDK 1.4.2 SR6 seems to have a problem with the etc/profile
classpath settings. As a workaround you could add the classpath into
your mainfest file (layout is a bit different).

We had problems to email jar files but don't know the reason. Perhaps
it's because of Mail-Setup. Haven't spend to much time to investigate.

Roland

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:25:27 -0600, McKown, John
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This question just occurred to me. If I am writing Java code that I
>want to execute on z/OS, either batch or CICS, I want to use an desktop
>IDE such as Netbeans or Eclipse. After all, why waste z/OS cycles doing
>Java compiles? However, in order to easily use these IDEs, I need to be
>able to access the appropriate "jar" files. I am running on a Windows
>XP Pro system. There is no other option. I do not have an NFS client,
>so I cannot NFS mount the z/OS UNIX subdirectories which contain the
"jar"
>files. Finally, I get to my question. Is it OK for me to download the
>"jar" files to my workstation? I have absolutely NO idea where to look
>to see what the license is that would address this issue.
>
>This is more curiousity than anything else. The probability of this
>company becoming interested in Java is very remote. But I can see some
>uses for specialized applications. Too bad we're de-emphasizing the z
>system environment.

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html