Hum, I think that you are correct. But that is all that I have heard of.
The problem, as best as I can see it, is the slowness of the response
from the tape due to the extreme slowness of the speed of light. <gring>

Now, I know of a possible way to do it, but it would be VERY indirect
and not "real time". Funsoft (http://www.funsoft.com), the makers of
FlexES, have a system called the FLEXCUB. This is based on FlexES, sort
of. What it does is make an Escon connected control unit. On the "back
end" it can use the device emulation software from FlexES to control
SCSI tape drives, emulated tape drives (AWS or FakeTape(tm) formatted
volumes which "look like" tapes to the z/OS system) and disk volumes.
What would be possible, but a real PAIN, would be to connect such a
thing to your zSeries locally. Have the z/OS (or z/VSE or z/VM or
z/Linux) write their data to an FakeTape(tm) volume which is on the
local FlexCUB system. Have this FlexCUB system, which runs Linux, export
the filesystem containing the FakeTape(tm) volumes using NFS or some
other such software. Now, on the far end, have another PC running Linux
with a SCSI attached tape drive import that filesystem. You'd likely
need to VPN the two systems together over the Internet or a dedicated IP
line (your choice). On the remote PC, have a daemon (or cron scheduled
task) which can copy the FakeTape(tm) to an actual physical tape. There
is a utility to do this from Funsoft. This would assume that the
FakeTape(tm) on the FLEXCUB system would always be considered the
authoritative source for the data on the particular volume.

Instead of NFS, it might be possible to use some "file transfer"
function such as ftp, scp, sftp, etc., to copy the data from the FLEXCUB
system to the remote PC. Or, heaven forfend, encrypt it and email it
<GRIN>.

If you need to send the otherway, then just reverse the direction of the
copy (I think).

The main problem that I can see with this is how to know that the z/OS
system has completed writing all the information to the tape so that it
can be known that it is ready to be written to the physical tape. I.e.
how to know that the tape is "complete" in the case where it contains
multiple datasets, perhaps created over the course of even days. I have
not thought about this. Now, the FLEXCUB software knows when z/OS has
issued a "rewind and dismount" CCW. Perhaps there is a "hook" on the PC
side which could trigger a Linux function of some sort. I would suggest
talking with Funsoft about this possibility.

Another problem is how to reconcile the z/OS tape label with the
physical tape label. I mean the one on the outside of the tape, the
copying will replace the internal tape label. But if the internal
doesn't match the external, "you have problems" <grin>. This might be
handled by something on the remote end conversing with the operator to
mount a particular tape volser, then doing VOL1 verification on the
remote PC before doing the actual tape copying.

I do not offer this as a good solution. But it is all that I can think
of. And I'm a bit bored due to the "hands off" that we are in due to
year end processing. I hope you, and all others, don't mind.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.