I actually like building a new catalogue for each release. The only thing in my mastcat is system required VSAM, IBM supplied datasets, OEM datasets which are required in mastcat, and usercats/aliases for everything else. When I build the new cat, I use a homegrown COBOL program that reads a listcat the old mastcat and builds the control statements(DEFINE NONVSAM, IMPORT CONNECT, DEFINE ALIAS, etc) to put everything in the new catalog. Anything that I use from the old mastcat is accessed on a temporary basis using import/connect and aliases. My COBOL program is probably very silimar to the Rexx exec that another poster reffered to.

Daniel McLaughlin wrote:

I've been digging in the archives, haven't hit this yet.

We're starting to test 1.7, have 1.4 in production and on our sandbox. I want to be able to use some HLQs that are in the 1.4 mastercat so I can get to my OEM stuff on 1.7. I'm not ready for the mergecat step just yet, at least I don't think so. Should I just import/connect the 1.4 master to the 1.7 master, do my testing, then unhook the 1.4 master and do the mergecat prior to cutover?

It may seem like a rookie question, but in the past I was not the lead on this type of project and my mentors were not apt to divulge this type of process, for whatever reason.

Many thanks and Happy New Year!!