Hal Merritt wrote:
I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with the collective wisdom of
the group :-)

The most technically correct answer to your questions is: it depends.
We used to do the controller to controller method (IBM's PPRC), but have
recently implemented IBM's XRC.  XRC requires a live operating system
running at the remote site to manage the replication.

Just to complement: XRC requires datamover. It need not be neither remote, nor separate system.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland