Dear listers,

reading Cheryl Watson's last Tuning letter one sentence about the Upgrade ROT
caught my attention:
"Only add resources as needed. If you add more memory than you need, you'll
simply cause CPU overhead".
My first question is how could more memory cause CPU overhead ?
Our production LPAR (z/OS.e 1.4 on a z890) has 5 GB storage assigned; RMF shows
an average of 25% of the total frames as active,
while the remaining 75% is available. Now and again we have jobs which do need
more frames, so the percentage varies
to show 60% or 70% active and 40% or 30% available, but that's sporadic.
Should I consider the storage assigned to our LPAR as too much ? Any chance
that the assigned storage would cause CPU overhead ?

I'd like to read your opininion/ROT on this.

Best regards

Walter Marguccio
z/OS Systems Programmer
Munich - Germany