The "pay extra" comes into play if you encounter a previously-unreported
and undiagnosed problem in the out-of-support software, for which you
unconditionally MUST have a fix (i.e., there is no alternative or
work-around).  The probability of that happening might be statistically
irrelevant, but it's still greater than zero.

    -jc-