-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Pinnacle
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:56 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: V2X2 vs. Shark (SnapShot v. FlashCopy)

<SNIP>

Steve,

Over what period of time were the volumes FlashCopy'd?  My understanding
is
that DFDSS front-ends the FlashCopy function, so you only get the
FlashCopy
just before DFDSS can do the physical backup to tape.  Can you batch all
the
FlashCopy's, then copy them to tape later?  It's very important to keep
the
time window when the volumes are actually copied as small as possible.

<SNIP>

It has been about 4 years since I was involved with that process. As I
recall, from the time the flashcopy jobs started to the time they were
all completed was about 10 minutes (we did not flash all the volumes at
once, automation submitted the flash jobs so many seconds/minutes
apart).

Batch jobs were complete at that point (except for incremental backups).
As soon as the flashcopy jobs completed, on-lines (CICS) could become
active (the files were closed/disabled in CICS terms) and TSO max users
was changed from 0. The jobs were then started to backup the flashed
volumes.

Later,
Steve Thompson